HLF funded restoration of a Grade-II* listed church in Bolton to provide a fully accessible and sustainable hub for the community.
All Souls is an outstanding Grade II* listed building that lies in the heart of Bolton’s Crompton ward. It was built in 1878 – 81 and provided space for 800 worshippers as the Church remained a centre of activity for much of the 20th century. However, global economic shifts and changes in the local population saw All Souls begin to lose its relevance to the community and it became redundant in 1985.
HLF subsequently awarded a grant of £4.9m to transform the building into All Souls Crompton Community Centre. The building was repaired and converted to provide a fully-accessible and sustainable hub of activities which benefit the community and produce development opportunities for social enterprises and increased employment opportunities in the area.
Whilst our primary role was the delivery and management of the project from RIBA Stage D, procurement of the Main Contractor and through to completion, we also had a role in relation to funding; managing drawdowns and monthly reports with the HLF, subject to agreeing additional fees.
The project won an English Heritage Angel Award for The Best Rescue of Any Other Type of Building and adds its name to the growing list of award winning HLF funded restoration projects in the North West managed by Buro Four. Other such projects include the Grade II* listed Gorton Monastery, Grade II* listed Victoria Baths and the Grade II listed Florence Institute in Liverpool.